Thursday, November 5, 2009

I officially love velvet.

Ok so it's been a day since my last post and just to clarify, I do have a little bit of a life, but I'm sure that other bloggers will agree that once you start posting it's really really difficult to stop. Kind of like a meth addiction I guess? So my new object of affection is...wait for it...velvet! I was watching an episode of Friends (the once where Rachel and Monica's heater breaks and they're having a New years party...crazy stuff!) and Joey dated a lady that wore this amazing blue velvet wraparound dress with an elaborate silver brooch that looked the absolute shizzle. Of course she was about a size six with flaming red hair but they’re just minor technicalities.

A few shops this season have plenty of velvet goodies to offer while others are, for want of a better word, pretty crap. Topshop is in the lead today (where did it all go wrong Miss Selfridge?!) and I would actually contemplate getting leaving school and taking up full time work to afford some of the stuff...



< Doesn't this make you feel all happy and giddy inside? It's fairly simple but it is such a flattering shape and to be honest a lot more wearable then most of the leotards I usually get excited about. However not much of a bargain at £60 in Topshop. Should I? Shouldn't I? Just imagine teaming it with this Egyptian style necklace I saw for €5 in Penneys... it's decided. I totally should.




< It's scarlet. It's velvet. It's a leotard. This is like Christmas '09 and my sixteenth birthday ALL ROLLED INTO ONE! At £28 in Topshop I am tempted to take up ballet just so I can do pirouettes on stage in this awesome little leotard. I love.



< I feel so naughty 'cause this is my THIRD Topshop choice but I think it can be agreed that this jacket deserved a mention. It's a kind of slashed velvet but unfortunately the picture makes it look like it’s made of cut up bin bags. £150 so if you are in line to a really big inheritance or are the heir to the Belgian throne, go wild with this jacket.




< Who knew such a treasure lay in the WebPages of Asos.com?! A 'Beyond the Valley' piece (who have also done some crazy ass knits) that has stolen my heart and wrapped it up in it gold and velvet goodness. £95 is pretty steep, but those lions are FIERCE.






< This dress is just so darn pretty. I'm a sucker for heart shaped necklines so for me this dress can do no wrong. And at £45.00 for something I can imagine myself pulling on for every second Christmas social gathering, so it's not bad eh?



< I can totally imagine Michelle Obama wearing this number...it's so classy and elegant and VIP. I'd imagine if I was wearing it my chances of getting into wine tastings and art auctions would be tripled. It's £60 in Monsoon and I got to say that it looks worth every penny.





< The decision is all yours here with this Carin Wester dresses. Personally I like the yellow one best because Big Bird was always my favourite Sesame street character. I just adore the details on the arms but am slightly deterred by the fact that they’re £415 in Urban Outfitters which is money that I think I will leave in my college fund. However, I shed a tear for what could have been.



< Ok, this is really mean of me. Whoever is reading this is probably tearing their hair out in fury over my overly enthusiastic love for Topshop clothing. I'm sorry, and I hope your hair grows back. I couldn't help myself though; cause its dusty pink velvet. I repeat, DUSTY PINK VELVET. That is explanation enough. (£28)



No doubt I will get over velvet soon enough, but for now I recommend you wear it head to toe, bring it into every conversation you have and make a minature non-creepy shrine to the wonder that is velvet at the back of your wardrobe.

Kisses!

2 comments:

  1. hi ya dee here from lucys lounge. you have a great blog thank you for following mine.we have a fanzine coming out for christmas its being edited by dale another 15 year old guy. all this talent from you teens !! wow ! if you would like to write an article and if we use it we give you a e10 voucher not much but e10 can get you some nice clothes at lucys. also some times we need helpers to work in exchange for clothes. so drop in introduce yourself. i'll be watching you..... d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the slashed velvet jacket! Thanks for sharing. Lovely blog!

    www.bagpoor.com

    ReplyDelete